Monday 18 March 2013

Band Review Truth And Its Burden


8pm on a Thursday night I get a call, "come to Gig Tyd" says caller. "Gig Tyd?? In Boksburg?" I enquire. With my suspicions then quickly confirmed my immediate and reflex response was NO. I have no desires to mate with a relative and have all my teeth and would like to keep it so, so what the F*ck do I want in Boksburg on a Thursday night? Truth And Its Burden was the answer responded to me. Cut scene to me putting on shoes and rushing out the door. 

Truth and Its Burden... I have not seen this band for about 4 years.  What are they doing in a venue named Gig Tyd in Boksburg...? I guess I didn’t really care, I just had to see them live again. Upon my arrival, every stereo typical preconception I had conjured up in my head on the drive there was soon confirmed. Was that ACDC's Thunderstruck being slaughtered by a cover band?  Shoot me now were my first thoughts.

After being introduced to a very different looking Ashley De Beer (front man) I silently moved along checking out the environment. Head down, trying not to draw the attention of drunken East Rand fists. It must be said there were some familiar faces equally scared of brandy fists hiding in the shadows waiting for Truth And It's Burden to start. 

It was evident once the band got on stage that something electric was about to happen. “Sound check” he said... “SOUND CHECK!!” he barked and instantly the crowd’s attention was firmly with in his massive grasp!  

As one would expect the sound was not very good. A band like that should be on a big stage. No they deserve a big stage where their story, their anthems can justly resonate, violently, through skeletons of minds newly blown.  Hard core is not dead it would seem. As I stood there right in front, awkward in my self-proclaimed old age, it became more apparent that even though I may get old, the passion rooted in this music is ever burning. It was fantastic to see and to hear. It was very clear why this band has been commanding such attention overseas. Successfully touring Europe in 2012 and playing with heavy weight names such as Unearth, Darkest Hour, Sick Of It All, Norma Jean, and Funeral for a Friend to name a few. They have also taken a charge at the USA playing festival after festival. It is nothing short of a breath taking to see the drive that this band has. They are now signed to a US record label (Rite Of Passage Records / Mediaskare Records). This is every local alternative bands wet dream.


What really stood out to me, which was further echoed after seeing them again over the weekend at RamFest, was how impactful their set was. This was more than just well constructed dissonant chords and near perfectly executed phrasings, there was a message for each spectator to take home with them.  I got mine… Now go see them live and get yours too.

Live @Ramfest 2013

Check them out on 
http://www.truthanditsburden.com/
Band Lineup 
Ashley De Beer - Vocals 
Calvin Clayden - Guitar 
Niekie Van Niekerk - Bass 

1 comment: