Sunday 24 August 2014

Gabriel Rios And The Song I Cant Get Out Of My Head.

I don't know if I am down with the cool kids any more... not sure if I'm still hip to the
'hoppidy' and I expect that some fully bearded, all season scarf wearing hipster will jump at the opportunity to confirm that I am indeed not as 'coolio' as I would like to believe, but I have, unashamedly, recently found  Gabriel Rios and goshhh darn it, I think his music is groovy.

I have no qualms in expecting that someone will tell me he is "So Last Year" and how his earlier albums were 'sooo much cooler'  but I don't care, he is new to me.. SO THERE ;P
I was first exposed to this Puerto Rican-Belgian musician by a post off Sony Music Belgium's  Face book page a few weeks ago and was instantly hooked. Since then I have often found myself slipping uncontrollably  into a lyrically incorrect falsetto, desperately trying hold onto his 2013 single "Gold".

It may be my obsessive nature or perhaps the blame lays solely, and rightfully so, with his timeless, 'story telling' like style of writing. Either way I just cant get enough. So much so that I have been hunting down as much of his music online as I can get my hands on. After finding a live show featuring Jef Neve and Kobe Proesmans, I sat overwhelmed by his musics ability to captivate and carry you to a golden area. I really enjoyed the stripped down nature in his composition. Simple but hugely gripping chords intertwined with melody that effortlessly  flow between heartfelt lyrics. REAL SONG WRITING. 
He is currently on the tail end of a project to release a new song every month for a year. The 12 songs will be compiled and made available on iTunes in October 2014 under  the title "This Marauder's Midnight". I for one am looking forward to that. 

Find him on Face Book www.facebook.com/gabrielriosofficial

Tumi

No comments:

Post a Comment